Track apps

Prosecution granted access to track phone calls of suspects in Asamankese chiefdom violence

A Koforidua Circuit Court has granted a request to investigators in the Asamankese chieftaincy dispute to follow up on phone calls from some of the suspects who denied involvement in the attack on the Asamakese chief’s palace and forcefully aided the installation of a parallel leader.

The court granted the request for the prosecution to complete its investigations and charge the suspects involved.

The prosecution, led by senior state attorney David K. Hodanu, told the court it should track phone calls from suspects before the December attack.

This, he said, will help the prosecution establish the suspects’ complicity in the crime.

This is a second request the court had granted after a plea by the attorney general in February to allow police investigators to conduct a ballistic forensic examination on weapons recovered from suspects in the December 20 raid. from last year.

The court had granted bail to the 31 suspects after appearing before it a few months ago.

They were arrested after thugs – allegedly hired by a faction in the chieftaincy dispute, Barima Pobi Asomaning – besieged the Asamankese palace to facilitate the performance of traditional rites for his engagement as a parallel chief.

The armed thugs violently invaded the palace under the gunfire.

According to a police report, nine people were injured and were treated at Asamankese State Hospital.

The police behind the arrest recovered and seized 52 spent AA shells, a handgun with two loaded magazines and a pump action pistol from the suspects.

Barima Pobi Asomaning claimed the legitimacy of the Asamanke stool.

The revelation that the current occupier, Osabarima Adu Darko III, was published in the Official Gazette is believed to have sparked the violent incident.

After the incident, the lord of the area, Okyenhene, Osagyefuo Amoatia Ofori Panin implored the Ghana Police Service to restore peace and order to the area.

According to him, the stalemate that resulted in the seizure and occupation of the Asamankese Palace was an attack on Okyeman’s dignity and integrity.

In a statement reacting to the events, the Okyenhene clarified that “Osabarima Adu Darko III remains the rightful leader of Asamankese; thus, the alleged installation of Barima Pobi Asomanin II is unlawful, irregular, unusual and an aberration of the custom of Akyem Abuakwa and therefore null, void and of no effect.

He further stated that the said deadlock has already been resolved favoring Osabarima Adu Darko III and Barima Pobi Asomanin II being fined.

The case was adjourned to August 8.