Track shipments

Efforts to streamline shipments of military household items are back on track after protests over bids

Barry Van Lines mover Jerry Leama carries a box of household items into a moving truck at Dover Air Force Base, Del., July 16, 2021. (Nicole Leidholm/US Air Force)

The Department of Defense is free to move forward in its effort to streamline the global household goods shipping system after a federal agency on Thursday dismissed protests from two companies over the $6.2 billion contract of dollars.

In November, the United States Transportation Command awarded the big contract to Houston-based HomeSafe Alliance LLC for what the government describes as “comprehensive door-to-door” transportation of household goods for service members, coast guards and federal employees.

A few weeks later, American Roll-On Roll-Off Carrier Group and Connected Global Solutions – both unsuccessful bidders in the tender – appealed the award to the Government Accountability Office.

The GAO announced Thursday that it had rejected their appeals. It has yet to issue written decisions outlining the basis for the denials.

HomeSafe will begin a transition period lasting until December during which it will develop and test interfaces with the federal government’s information technology system as well as establish customer service capabilities, the Command said. transport in a press release on Friday.

HomeSafe welcomed the GAO’s decision in a statement Thursday, saying the company would “significantly improve the relocation experience for our military, civilians and their families.”

American Roll-On said it was “disappointed” with the decision.

“We will review the GAO’s decision and assess next steps, including any further legal action,” the company said in a press release Thursday.

The protest refusal is just the latest twist in the awarding of a household goods removal contract.

American Roll-On Roll-Off Carrier Group originally won the contract in April 2020.

HomeSafe and Connected Global Solutions appealed the award to the GAO, which backed their protest in October 2020.

As a result, the government again solicited bids and late last year selected HomeSafe, prompting the latest protest from American Roll-On and Connected Global.

The selection of a single company to handle the movement of all goods is intended to streamline a system that uses more than 900 business entities for the approximately 325,000 annual household goods shipments, according to the US Transportation Command.

The change is driven by constant complaints from military families about delays in pickups and deliveries of goods and damage to items during transit.